Friday, August 1, 2008

August 1 is a very special day....

How did I get so lucky to have 2 special people in my life born on the same day?! Not only is today Randy's b'day, but my sister/aunt Janet's b'day,too.

Why is Janet so special to me? Well let me tell you, we have been close for 37 years. That is when I invited myself to go stay at their house. Here I was, a 16 year old who just decided to ride with my Sunday school teacher to Logan. He was going to visit his family, and I thought "me, too!" (I can't believe my parents let me go with a single man 1000 miles in a car. He did have his 2 small children with him, though.) Anyway, I got to Janet's just as she learned that her mother was dying of cancer. I arrived in time to help babysit kids while Janet did what she needed to. I think I was there about a month. I hope I didn't cause too much trouble!

Janet was always the fun aunt. She always had a fun project or place to visit, usually a practical experience like hiking or quilting, getting squeaky cheese, canning or just "going in to town."

She taught me more about cooking than my own mom. She's an awesome cook!

Janet has been at every important event in my life. She was at my wedding, my kids' weddings, asking her "24 questions", making sure no one was making a mistake. She has been so good to my kids, always welcoming.

Janet is one of the most wise people I know. Through struggles of raising a family, marriage, working, being a friend, health issues, she has actually learned the lessons she's needed, and when appropriate, passed on her wisdom to others with grace and class. Her life has been a lesson in perseverance and endurance.

Janet is the most loved person I know. Probably because she loves more than anyone I know. She knows EVERYBODY! I was always so amazed that she knows everyone's phone #'s in all of Cache Valley. She has more "children" than she can count. Including me. She has taken on role of mother to so many strays, always welcoming, giving generously, finding something to love even in the most unlovable. Her children have been so generous to share her with the rest of us! Thank you, Jim, Raelyn, Rob, Marci, Shane, and Munch.

And thank you, Aunt Janet, for being my big sister, my friend, my mentor, and for just being you!!! I love you.

2 comments:

Aunt Janet said...

Wow, what do I say. What a beautiful note. You make my world such a great place to be. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Amanda said...

Wow Syndea. Thanks. My Mom deserves to hear how amazing she is! Sometimes I think she forgets how much she is loved!! Thanks for being such a great cousin and good friend.
Amanda