Friday, March 12, 2010

This morning, as I was working on a sewing project, I turned on the TV to the Today Show. The host was interviewing a couple who's 16 month old son had recently nearly drowned in the bathtub. I almost changed the channel, as any reference to drowning is difficult for me to hear. But I felt compelled to "stay tuned". As I listened to their story I realized how close to our own story it was. So many similarities!!! Even the outcome was the almost same. I couldn't stop the tears. The memories of almost losing Tony, then the road to his miraculous recovery....

I reflect on the past 27 years since that horrible, miraculous accident. Horrible because my son came so incredibly close to death. Miraculous because the dr.s gave him so little chance of living, and even smaller chances of being "normal". I knew then how blessed we were and that our prayers were answered by a loving Heavenly Father. I knew that I had been given an awesome responsibility to be the best mother I could be.

I know now that he is special in so many ways. I know how lucky I am to be his mother, and to have had him in my life for the past 28 years.

Now my responsibility is to watch him as he shares his gifts with the world one day at a time. To continue to love him. To have faith that he is all that he was meant to be.

I love you, T!

4 comments:

the queen bee said...

thanks for making me cry first thing in the morning!:)
love my baby bro!!

the queen bee said...

oops. it's lup by the way.

Heidi said...

I heard about this story on the Today show. Weird thing is that a firefighter in my ward spoke in our Welfare meeting about the same experience that he had just gone through with a baby in Provo the previous week. As he spoke about the experience I was trying hard to keep it together (I managed to do it, sort of). I just kept thinking about Tony...What a miracle.
The small child was in exactly the same condition as Tony was (this child had drowned in a hot tub)...and has made a full recovery. You can imagine how the guy (and the rest of the firemen) in my ward felt when the family showed up and their child RAN into the firestation to tell them thank you for everything that they had done.
Thanks for sharing this Syndea. Tony is an inspiration on so many levels. Love my nephew! And the rest of his family!

Sidney said...

Welcome back, blogger.
your story gave me goose bumps. You were due a tender mercy at that point in your life.Love and miss you. Can't we go play soon. My baby is leaving in a few months and I am going to fall a part.