Sunday, May 2, 2010

"The lost art of building with your hands"

Today is Sunday, a day of rest. And rest is what I need after a very busy but FUN weekend.

As I sat reading the paper I came across the article in Parade Magazine by Mitch Albom called "the Lost art of Building with Your Hands". In the article is a story about an amazing young man from southeast Africa who had NO resources except and a book with pictures, idea, garbage, and hands with which he made a small windmill that produced enough energy to power one light bulb. What joy and hope he brought to his humble village.

In reading this article I couldn't help but compare my daughters, Mique and Jessica to this special young man. Yesterday they saw the fruits of months of preparation as the held their first "Queen Bee Market". It was a huge success! Something they conceived in their minds, and made happen.

When they first told me their idea I was skeptical, to say the least. Not that I don't think they are capable. They both have so much talent! No, they are both just so incredibly BUSY with their every-day lives. But, despite my concerns, they planned and worked and worked some more. And it payed off in a big way. They created something to be so proud of. Kinda like "Field of Dreams", "if you build it, they will come". And come they did! It was AWESOME!!!

No, they didn't change a village. But they created a very special event, involved family, even giving back to 2 special charities.

This (tired) mom couldn't be more proud of 2 very special daughters. Thanks for letting me share this experience with you!

XOXO,
mom

No comments: