Thursday, August 30, 2007

Here's to you, New York



So, Lisa and I went to the Big Apple last weekend. I left S.D. very early Friday morning and met Lisa at the Phoenix airport, where we waited for a couple of hours to fly to New York. It was an easy flight, and got in to JFK at 8:00 pm. Our taxi took us to our hotel, and after a small change of lodging, we were out the door to see some sights by 9:00. Time Square is a crazy place any time of day or night. We also wandered around the area for awhile, then back to the hotel.
The next morning we took the subway to Ground Zero- the point of my trip. I have felt for awhile that I just needed to pay my respects there at that site where so many lost their lives. I hope each person who died that day knows that they are not forgotten!!It was very emotional for me there.
After that we went to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. It was a beautiful, if hot and humid day. That night we went to see "Hairspray" on Broadway. Very Fun!!! And we had a late night snack at a diner with singing waiters, sharing a table with a woman from Spain and another from Mexico. They were fun to visit with!
Sunday we went to church at the building where the temple is. It was amazing. With all the muscal talent the hymns were beautiful. And the musical number, "O Divine Redemer" in violin and piano was ...... Not your typical sacrament meeting. Mostly young families or students, with a few oldtimers. Then off to Central Park, brunch at Tarvern on the Green, more Central Park, shopping at FAO Swartz, window shopping at Tiffany's and Sak's 5th Avenue. The weather was perfect. We saw Chris Sly from "American Idol" walking down the street. After a rest, and dinner at Bryant Park, I dragged Lisa to the Empire State Building. I didn't know until we were on our way up 86 floors that Lisa doesn't like heights. She did great, and the city look beautiful at night.
Monday was off to the "Today Show" first thing. We saw Matt Lauer, Ann Curry, the cast of Saturday Night Live, and Giada deLaurentis. I took pictures and it was fun. After going back to the hotel to eat breakfast and check out, we were off again to try to find me an outfit. To no avail. Oh well. We did find some shoes. Finally our legs gave out, and we decided to head for JFK. The taxi took us an interesting way, through Cental Park, Harlem, and who knows where else- in rush hour traffic. But he mad pretty good time.
It was a good trip, with no mishaps. I love that Randy gave me this awesome b'day present by organizing this trip that I have been talking about for awhile. It made me appreciate all the good that I have in my life- husband, kids, grandkids, siblings, friends, this amazing country, and San Diego. I love New York. But I LOVE Encinitas!!!!!

No comments: