Sunday, September 16, 2007

The end of and era

A few days ago I did something that I'd been anticipating for awhile. I sold my '67 Mercedes 250 SL. I decided about 3 years ago that I needed to drive a car that I could put car seat into for the grandkids. At that time, after looking at several cars, and with the recommendation of Tony who'd parked cars at the Four Seasons that summer, I leased a Lexus 300 ES. It was a fun new car with air conditioning and four seats. I thought at the time that I'd drive the Mercedes on occassion. But I never seemed to want to take the time to get it out of it's comfy spot in the garage. I only drove it a few times in 3 years.

I loved driving that car. It was fun, and wherever I went people asked me about it. It was old with the pains that happen with old age. But with the help of a couple of good mechanics, it ran OK. With the exception of the electrical problem..... It stopped dead in the middle of the street one too many times. That's when I found a new mechanic that FINALLY fixed the problem. But by then, I was ready for a reliable car. And I left the lights or the radio on so many times, leaving me with a dead battery, that AAA was getting to know me very well!
So it got parked in the garage.

I finally decided around April, knowing that my lease would be up the end of July, that I'd better start looking for a new car. This time I wanted to buy, not lease, and knew that I should sell the Mercedes to help pay for a new car. I looked on several car sale web sites, decided on a price, and had it checked over by the mechanic. He had 2 customers that were also having work done on their cars that were interested in buying it. It didn't work out with them, so Randy posted it on Craig's list. I had a couple on inquiries, but noone dying to buy it. Then I was contacted by a company that lists cars on a national site that was sure they could find me a buyer. After researching the company, we decided to list it with them. I didn't hear anything for about 4 weeks. Then last Saturday I got a call from someone in Beverly Hills. I won't get into it, but this guy was a jurk so I eventually hung up on him. 2 days later another man called. He was in Santa Barbara, and after telling him about the car, he agreed to ride the train down later in the week.

So on Friday, after driving down 101 along the beach one last time, I met him at the train station in Solana Beach. A very nice young man, about Tony's age, who's dad used to have "one". We drove around the block, he liked what he saw, and we made a bargain. We went to John Fahrnkopf car (he agreed to help me with this transaction) where the money, pink slip, and keys were exchanged. We shook hands; I told him to take good care of it and call if he had any problems. Then we drove away. I got a little teary!

And I cried a few times later this weekend. I LOVED that car!!!! I had wanted it from the first time I layed eyes on one when my next door neighbors came home from Germany with a brand new one when I was 12 years old. At age 41 Randy induldged me. I enjoyed driving it, and loved that others enjoyed looking at this beautiful little machine for many years. Please love it and spend lots of time cruising in Santa Barbara, Barrett Reed. I'll always have fond memories!!!!

1 comment:

jess said...

we'll miss it too mom!